VLCT's Risk Management Services (RMS) division provides insurance, benefits, and safety and health programs designed with the needs of Vermont's municipalities in mind. The RMS staff administers three separate self-insurance pools: the Property and Casualty Intermunicipal Fund (PACIF), the VLCT Health Trust, and the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Trust. Each pool is non-profit, member-owned, board-directed, and has its own separate and distinct programs and services.
- VLCT PACIF, created in 1986 for coverage that began in 1987, provides extensive coverage for losses to member municipalities for property damage, auto accidents, injured employees, public official liability and employment practices liability. Members gain additional benefit from PACIF's unique public safety and risk management programs as well as dedicated in-house claims adjusters.
- VLCT Health Trust began operation in 1982 as the first health trust in Vermont. The Trust offers municipal members a special selection of health insurance and benefit plans that include group dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, disability insurance, long-term care insurance, and cafeteria (Section 125) plan administration.
- VLCT Unemployment Insurance Trust, recognized as one of the first municipal risk management pools in the country, began operations in 1978. It is a municipal trust fund that pays costs associated with unemployment insurance claims filed against the member city or town.
RMS service teams are real people really looking out for you and supporting the mission of VLCT in the following specific ways.
- The Member Relations team is ready to help you understand and fully utilize the programs offered by all of the Trusts. Member Relations representatives spend most of their time meeting in person with local officials, and they can be scheduled to make presentations to selectboards or to employees. As a member of any of the VLCT self-insurance trusts, you are able to call your Member Relations representative if you ever have a question or problem, and he or she will address your needs knowlegeably and personably. Click here for a map of Member Relations territories and contact information for each representative.
- The Claims team, all of whom are familiar with the specific needs of municipal governments as well as the parameters of PACIF coverage, make sure that all legitimate claims are paid promptly. They will be your ally, working collaboratively with you to investigate your claims thoroughly and arrive at accurate and fair resolutions. With PACIF, the claims process is transparent — nothing like the "black box" treatment of commercial carriers.
- Health Promotion, also known as Wellness, provides a variety of programs and resources to help keep healthy people healthy and help prevent people with health problems from getting worse. Click here to learn more from VLCT's Wellness Initiatives webpage.
- The Loss Control Services team helps PACIF members decrease their exposure to risk in the interest of reducing future claims and working toward lower contributions. Effective loss control promotes a range of advantages including fewer injured employees, less lost work time, and a safer work environment and community. VLCT's Loss Control consultants spend most of their time at member worksites identifying preventable losses and training your staff to establish safe habits. Click here to learn more from VLCT's Loss Control Services webpage.